Monday, February 20, 2012

"The worst is not, So long as we can say, 'This is the worst.' "

Thursday afternoon I was driving out to a meeting. I was thinking about the less-than-stellar day I had had. As per my MO, this got me thinking about all kinds of things- my current living situation, job uncertainty, and the mountain of things on my to-do list that are piling up. As I was pulling out of town, I found myself thinking, "Man, I could really use a win right now."

Roughly half an hour later, I had skidded down an snowy hill into a guard rail.

This is the second car accident I have been in in 6 months. Friday afternoon I came home and took the owners manual from my "real" car (as in, not the pre-millennium grandma car I replaced it with, which is now also totaled) and put it in the glove compartment.



This is the Yaris I smashed in September. I was not what one would call, "insurance savvy" and am still making payments on it. (If it is still on my parents property, does it qualify as a useless piece of crap I need to figure out what to do with?)



I don't know what your relationship with fate is like, but mine is not what I anticipated. I was looking for some sort of protective parent, who says to me, "Hey kiddo, you seem like you had a rough week.  Let's see if we can get you some ice cream." Instead, fate's parenting philosophy for me seems to be, "You want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about."

This is when I reached the startling conclusion that the whole Debbie Downer routine is not going to work for me. Ironically, this comes on the heels of a friend of mine complaining on Facebook that she was sick on Valentine's Day, to which I pointed out that she had "publicly berated children" earlier that day and that "Karma is a bitch".  So true.....

So, Thursday night, I pulled my car off to the side of the road, used the Police and towing contacts that were already in my phone from the last time I was in an accident (they were both in neighboring towns), let myself think about what a shitty situation this was for about 30 seconds and then dealt with all the necessary service folks involved with a smile, plenty of Thank Yous, and all of my tears in tact. The fact that I have much better insurance now didn't hurt either.

You are probably thinking one of two things right now:

Thought 1: Just one post this week instead of the barrage you usually feel the need to share? You moved one thing this weekend? And it is Monday night! Aren't you like, 30 hours late?

Well, the cherry on this sundae is that I spent my entire day yesterday sick in bed, and therefore could neither move anything else nor stay awake long enough between bouts of puking to compose a post. Upshot- Because I was home sick today I could talk to my insurance agent in more depth. Silver lining found.

Thought 2: But Manda, isn't all this moaning and groaning about how awful your weekend was, especially since it is a stretch at best to connect it to the content of this blog, really going against what you just said about not being a Debbie Downer?

Touche my friend. Touche. 




No comments:

Post a Comment