Sunday, February 5, 2012

Stories from the Shelf

Today I cleaned off this bookshelf:




I'm guessing you are either very impressed (which you shouldn't be. I  just moved most of this stuff into different piles around the room) or wondering where this even is (which is perfectly logical, since it isn't even visible in photos like this):


It is underneath the window, just right of the bed. Before today, it used to be home to all my old year books from school and camp, text books, photo albums, and various knickknacks of  sentimental value. It used to look like this:

All the stuff I am keeping has been stored away under the bed for right now. In truth, I do far more shuffling and re-arranging then actual cleaning. It is more of a sifting process than a clean sweep.  Anyway, here are some of today's highlights.



My 20/20 Headband
This is yet another piece of Geek Squadron paraphernalia. One night, whilst driving home from a fun filled adventure at 6 Flags, we were discussing where to stop for dinner. Someone suggested McDonald's. I don't remember why we started talking about Happy Meals specifically, but I do remember it was my friend Rob who said he was so hungry that he could eat at least two of them.  Some one else said they could eat 3. Rob quickly upped it to 4. Before you knew it, there were 6 of us at the counter ordering 20 Happy Meals, which we devoured in 20 minutes time. Thus, the first 20/20 was born. This challenge was attempted multiple other times; enough that we made headbands for those who completed it. But it was not as impressive when, say, 13 of us showed up to take it on.



My First Duck

Our senior year in college, someone found personalized rubber duckies with all our roommates names on them. This either led to, or was an early part of, us decided to decorate our suite's bathroom in rubber duckies. Wall poster. Shower curtain. Hand towels. You name it. We then took all our duck stuff to the off campus apartment we got for our grad year. Then I took it all to my first solo apartment on Cedar Street after that. Pretty sure that shower curtain is somewhere in my closet. Look for it in future posts.


Corsage from my Brother's Wedding
 
There's no big story here. I struggled a bit to let this one go, but quickly realized I will never wear this again. Still, nice to appreciate it. I'm pretty sure my sister-in-law made these by hand.
 

This badge is from a band trip to Virginia my freshman year. Oh the glory days. It's a shame I somehow never managed to attach this to an article of clothing or put it on public display.


 Tabachnick Pudding

Summer camp, like many institutions that serve mass quantities of children, receives surplus government food. In the summer of 2004, it was pudding. Pudding for dessert. Pudding for snack. Pudding for a "special treat" during evening program. The pudding was so prevalent, that my campers started to collect it. They smuggled it out of the dining hall in their pockets. They hoarded it in their backpacks. My co-leader and I convinced someone on the kitchen staff to let us sneak in and take some for our kids. One morning, the rest of camp lined up for flag, only to find that the flag pole was blocked off by a castle made of pudding cans. It was awesome.




Candlelight Candle

Camp's closing ceremony is done entirely by candlelight. All the electric lights on campus are turned off for the night. We have a quiet, reflective ceremony together in the lodge by the lake, then kids and staff members a like find their way back to their cabins using only the light from their birch round candles. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. For those of you who already know what you're looking at, you'll get a kick out of the bottom of this candle.






 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment