Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Not just any box

I didn't have time to do any real cleaning this week, so I figured I'd waltz into my room, grab an item or two, do a write up and then chuck 'em. That was the plan at least....

I decided I would take aim at this cardboard box




When we were in high school, my friends started this beautiful yet quirky club which celebrated, among other things, our perceived social awkwardness (as one of my buddies once put it, "We may have thought we were towards the bottom of the social ladder, but there were definitely some lame wildebeests behind us"). The saga of the Geek Squadron (we had the name first, this was WAY before Best Buys' tech crew and its various knock offs) is far too long and tantalizing to cram into a single post, so here's the deal with the box, which may give you an idea of the overall picture.

I had this giant teddy bear, which somehow became the Geek Squadron mascot. During our formative years, I took her with us to parties,  the beach, bowling, on road trips, an so on. She started cropping up in all kinds of photos from these various events. When we started going to college, I decide it would be a shame to keep her all to myself. I began a project called "Rosie's College Tour". The idea was to snap a few photos of her around campus and send her off to the next person; think Flat Stanley, only not so flat.  As the intro to this section of her scrapbook notes, "10 GS Members, 8 Schools, 5 States, 3 (disposable) Cameras, 1 Box...."

This was the box.

(By the way, yes, you did read that right. "this section of her scrapbook". She did have multiple adventures)



So, now that I've given this box its due time and reflection, it is time to toss it, right? Not this time... When I pulled it down, I found what it has been housing up there on the shelf:





... a veritable treasure trove of music from my youth, predating my first CD player.

We'll touch upon these another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment